Well Written
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Written

A site for young writers to find help and support in their writing

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Medieval Style Setting - Untitled.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tantail

Medieval Style Setting - Untitled. Empty
PostSubject: Medieval Style Setting - Untitled.   Medieval Style Setting - Untitled. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Time to Go.
She knelt, leather armor creaking, to string her bow, propping it against her boot. She rose and slung it over a shoulder, picking up her quiver and tying it to her hip. Armed and armored, she surveyed the path before her, fraught with danger, politics, possible treachery and surprises. All in all, it seemed Arlucia would have her adventure after all. Just not quite the way she'd expected. She just hoped she wouldn't give the bards something to sing about. All the epics she'd heard had involved terrible tragedy. She smiled wryly. She didn't want to go but at least she was doing what was right. She couldn't stand by and hide while people died. She'd journey across this country and set the king straight. She might even be back for tea!
She laughed and strode into the trees, never looking back.
The breeze spread dust upon the stones.
Back to top Go down
Zex

PostSubject: Re: Medieval Style Setting - Untitled.   Medieval Style Setting - Untitled. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 7:09 am

I can't help it.

A comma shouldn't be relied on. One of the best pieces of advice I was ever given was "avoid using commas when they aren't needed". Other doing words can fill in it's place.

"She knelt, leather armor creaking, to string her bow, propping it against her boot."

Could be...

"She knelt down with her leather armour creaking to string her bow, propping against her boot."

(Does leather armour creak? When I drink of leather I think animal hide.)
Back to top Go down
Tantail

PostSubject: Re: Medieval Style Setting - Untitled.   Medieval Style Setting - Untitled. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Zex wrote:
I can't help it.

A comma shouldn't be relied on. One of the best pieces of advice I was ever given was "avoid using commas when they aren't needed". Other doing words can fill in it's place.

"She knelt, leather armor creaking, to string her bow, propping it against her boot."

Could be...

"She knelt down with her leather armour creaking to string her bow, propping against her boot."

(Does leather armour creak? When I drink of leather I think animal hide.)

I think I've always had a problem with overusing commas. Though reading through it again I can see a few thing's I'd change, this sentence for example, using your suggestion and tweaking that: 'She knelt down to string her bow, her boot braced against the (wood?)' Most if not all of the few things I have on here I wrote as they came into my head and didn't edit them much. As I noticed you said about yourself so I have the same problem I don't finish. Thing is, I can't get a proper plot idea, just settings. Razz And wood is i nbracket b because I'd rather a different word but haven't decided what yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Medieval Style Setting - Untitled.   Medieval Style Setting - Untitled. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Medieval Style Setting - Untitled.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Well Written :: Writing Workshop :: Era-
Jump to: